Sunday, February 27, 2011

Featuring Maria (2011 - February 27)

During an e-mail exchange with a friend it dawned on me that one of the cool things about being at Casa Lucia (aside from the beautiful weather) is that I don't have to do any housework.

It commonly accepted that housekeepers and gardeners are included when you rent a place down here, and María is the woman who comes in twice a week to clean. She is a lovely, gentle soul who lives in the area, and who speaks only Spanish. Not only does María keep the casa looking nice, but she offers Rick and I the opportunity to try to converse in Spanish. She is very patient with us as we strive to get our thoughts and ideas across to her, and as we try to understand hers.


My best guess is that María, typical of the hardworking, soft spoken people we meet in San Miguel, is somewhere in her 40's. She has several children (3 or 4), and a small dog that she loves. She is married to a man who does tin work. Last year for my birthday, she gave me a lovely handmade box that her husband made. I was touched at her thoughtfulness, and will treasure that personal gift forever.

My realization while writing this is that I don't know as much about María as I'd like to. So I'm going to try harder to get to know this sweet lady who relieves me of the burden of even thinking about housework - always with a smile on her sweet face - better. Gracias, María.

No comments:

Post a Comment