Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A "Workout" Around Every Corner (2011 - February 23)

It's been a week since Rick and I arrived in San Miguel, and we both feel like we've settled in nicely and are doing the things we want to be doing.

Monday I began my Spanish class. Despite my trepidation, halfway through the class I realized that it's not going to be anywhere near as difficult as I feared. The class is small, perhaps 12 students. Some of them are obviously more accomplished than me, but others are clearly struggling in ways that I am not.

Early in the class we were asked to introduce ourselves in Spanish by telling where we were born, where we live now, what we do (job, hobbies, etc), and why we're interested in advanced Spanish. It was a good opener, and I was relieved to find that I was able to deliver my little "speech" fairly easily. I shared that I love Spanish because it's ejercicio para mi cerebro (exercise for my brain). The instructors take their jobs quite seriously, and  gave us quite a workout during that 2-1/2 hour class. That was o.k. with me and so I say with a smile on my face, "bring it on". 

Speaking of workouts... I'm attending a yoga class that's just down the street. Interestingly, I'm currently the only American in the class.  Joanna, the instructor, is from Halifax (Nova Scotia, Canada). There's a woman from Victoria, Canada, a couple from Calgary, Canada, and a Mexican young woman who may (or may not be) a SMA local. 

While Spanish challenges my mind, yoga challenges my body. The classes I take in Traverse City tend to be fairly gentle, and only an hour long. Joanna's classes last 90 minutes, and she moves through fairly complicated and difficult poses with little time in between. (Must be a Canadian thing.) I tell myself that I don't have to do keep up, but somehow I do (definitely a Judy thing). I'm certainly feeling the effects of that class this morning, however.

There's no end to the events that one can attend in San Miguel for cultural "workouts". Yesterday Rick and I went to a guitar concert in Teatro Santa Ana at la Biblioteca (the library),which was done by an artist named George Worthmore.  George is a motorcycling ex-hippy who backed up many musical icons in the 70's and who played in and managed rock and roll bands for most of his life. Now 63 years old, he has successfully reinvented himself by switching to acoustic guitar and solo performances.  His talent is great, and his presentation delightful.

George's casual, somewhat hick-ish attire - jeans, a button down shirt over a white undershirt and black combat boots - was dressed up a bit with a dapper straw hat. In contrast, the 3 or 4 piercings in his left ear and the huge tattoos on his neck and both forearms made it immediately recognizable that this overweight,  gray haired, bearded man who sports a moustache definitely walked on the wild side during his youth.

His show, billed as ragtime, blues and jazz, went far beyond that description. It included, among other things, a tune that went back to 1910; "Tennessee Waltz"; a selection from Bach; Shubert's "Ave Maria"; Don McClean's "Vincent"; an obscure but fun song written by Chuck Berry and, of course, some of his own work. The audience seemed to be enthralled with the tales he told of a life rich in musical experiences, and with his sharing of when and how he wrote and/or learned certain songs. I know I was. I was also delighted by the ways that he used his facial expressions - especially his eyes - to compliment the particular tune he was playing.

George's "grand finale" was a "built in encore" routine that he developed when he was traveling as a sound tech with the band "Kiss". The talent and humanness portrayed in this 75 minute show was worth every penny of the 120 pesos we paid to see it, and I shall remember George Worthmore's name and performance for a very long time.

Life is good in San Miguel, with a "workout" around every corner...if only you look for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment