Saturday, February 12, 2011

Packing Anxiety (2011 - February 12)

It's 6:30 Saturday morning. My one sleep-in day of the week, and here I am in front of my computer. There were so many details running through my head that I simply couldn't lay there anymore. Perhaps writing will help me achieve some clarity - and enthusiasm.

I tend to suffer from packing anxiety. My mind thinks of every eventuality that could possibly arise, and I feel a desperate need to be prepared for them all. Since we go away for 6 weeks, I have one of those huge suitcases. But the hard, cold fact is - no matter how big the bag, I can only put so much in it.

I once heard that when packing for a trip, you should gather everything you want - and then put half of it back. Well, you should see my gathering area. It's overflowing with "stuff" from clothing to jewelry, to toiletries, to Spanish books, to electronic gadgets, cords, etc. Today's challenge is to sort through it all, and to figure out what I really need. I'm sure that I'll end up having to put more than half of it back - groan. I feel like going back to bed, and pulling the covers over my head.

The "sane" part of me knows that I don't have to have the 'right' shoes and jewelry for every outfit for every occasion, and questions whether I really need all those electronics and books. But my anxiety is strong, and  I continue to fret.

And so my "sanity" fights back, reminding me that if I don't have something, I can probably do without - or buy it there. But my anxiety cautions me to remember that I'll have the same limitations on our return trip.  And at that point I won't have the luxury of putting things back.

Luckily I have a husband who doesn't tend to pack as heavily as I do. Hmmm...I wonder how much room he has left in his large suitcase? I definitely need to check that out.  I do have a decent size carry on. And how large of a purse can I find? Although I'm not as enthusiastic as I'd like to be, these ideas are helping to take the edge off a bit. Perhaps I just need to jump into this task, rather than sitting around worrying about it.

Thanks for listening. If you have any packing tips or just want to offer some psychological support to this anxious traveler, I'd love to hear from you.

 

1 comment:

  1. You said it best with whatever your forget you can buy. I would go light on the Spanish books, your there to learn without the books! Electronics are typically light. Skip extra sweaters, you can re-wear one easily without too many people knowing. Remember your slippers! I actually love packing

    ReplyDelete