Sunday, March 27, 2011

Those Kodak Moments Just Don't Quit... (2011 - March 26)

It seems like almost every time we walk out our door, there's more Kodak moments just waiting to happen.

Today we were on our way to Norma's Pizza for one of Norma and Carol's delicious grilled delights. We were approaching San Antonio Church when...lo and behold...we discovered tons of people - including a bride - preparing for a wedding. Naturally I pulled out my trusty old point-and-shoot, and took a quick picture of the bride getting ready for her big day. 


As we continued down the street, Rick recognized an opportunity for another great photo. I was actually part of it but didn't like how I looked, so I cropped myself out. It's much prettier now. See the cobblestone street, the colorful buildings, the church steeples, and the mountain backdrop.



Rick and I, finally at Norma's, waiting for our food. Norma and Carol are both originally from the Detroit area, and opened their darling, colorful little restaurant just weeks ago. Last week we had their spinach and sausage pizza, and yesterday their traditional, loaded with lots of yummy items. Their pizzas have thin crusts, and are cooked on a Weber grill. What a taste treat!!  (BTW...This is the only photo I have of Rick and I together, in the entire 6 weeks we've been here. Thanks for taking it, Norma.) 




What a thrill to discover on our way home that the happy couple was just leaving the church. And that they had a mariachi band following them, playing joyful tunes!!! Whip out that camera again, Judhit...snap a quick shot...



 ...then run as fast as you can to the other side of the square so you can get a better view of this cool happening, with the church in the background (as Rick unobtrusively shrinks into the shadows of the trees).



The flowered limo was waiting, and as the groom helped his bride arrange her long train so she could get in, the children watched and the mariachis played. This event was like frosting on the cake for me!!! How lucky can one gal be?

This little boy, dressed in a cute little tuxedo, was probably the ring bearer. I couldn't resist asking him, and then his family, if I could take a picture. He doesn't look overjoyed, but he was cooperative.



Then I noticed a little girl, perhaps his sister, watching from the sidelines. She obviously wanted to be included in the photo taking, and I was happy to oblige. She even smiled for me!!! But then I noticed the very small form on the bottom left of this photo...



...yet another child, wanting to get into the picture. I was starting to feel like the pied piper of Kodak land. The kids loved seeing their pictures on the screen, and I think their parents were amused by their cooperation and enthusiasm.  What fun. Children are definitely the best subjects!!



We finally were able to tear ourselves away from the wedding festivities and began walking home. And suddenly...there was the limo carrying the bride and groom, driving down our street, right past our casa...

Adios, amigos. Have a great life together. And thanks for the wonderful photo ops that your special occasion provided for all of us. 



***

Well you would think this would be plenty of San Miguel excitement for one day, wouldn't you? But In the evening Rick and I walked back to the church to attend Mass, and discovered a group baby Baptism!  I counted 22 little ones, decked out in their best christening whites, receiving the Catholic rite of Baptism while their adoring parents, godparents, grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins looked on. We just stayed in the background watching the happenings, but it was really special to be there. I felt blessed to witness two very special, joyful, family-oriented, church-centered events in one day.  

***

And so I wonder what treats are still in store for us? We leave early Thursday morning and though we're sad to go, we miss our wonderful lives, friends, family, house and dog back home. And it helps to know that instead of saying goodbye to San Miguel, we'll be saying "hasta el año próximo" (until next year). That's a good thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment