Friday, March 11, 2011

"Tianguis del Martes" (aka Tuesday Market) (2011 - March 11)

This is our fourth year in San Miguel, and I was determined to experience the "Tuesday Market" I've heard everyone talk about through the years. From what I was told, it was the largest vendor experience imaginable, a place where you could buy anything you could think of.  I was cautioned to be prepared because, as they said, Tuesday Market is absolutely overwhelming!

Knowing that it was too far to walk to, and not knowing how to get there on a bus, Rick and I hailed a cab and asked "Sabe dondé Mercado del Martes?" The cabbie just smiled, and directed us to get in. It was a fairly short ride in a direction where we were able to see the mountains that surround San Miguel. 

It didn't look like such a big deal when we first arrived. It appeared to just be a covered area with lots of tables that had various things placed neatly on them. But as I began to wander around, I quickly realized that there was covered area - after covered area -  after covered area- after covered area - everywhere, and that each covered area had lots and lots of tables and stalls. If Rick and I didn't stay together we were bound to get lost, and maybe have to return home separately. And so we agreed to "hang out" and experience this incredible place together. The following photos are only a handful of the hundreds of different tables that we saw in the short time we were there. 

Garden, patio and other tools
Nuts, bolts, screws, clasps, and who knows what else
Barrettes, clips, headbands, hair ties, etc.
Colorful tops for the ladies...
...and something to wear under those tops!
Yarns and needlepoint supplies for the crafty.
The best looking and greatest amounts of produce in town!!!
I've grown to love napoles (cactus leaves) in
just about any dish I might order.
deep friend elephant ears (don't know the Spanish name)
yummy donuts and croissants
Here's a photo of Rick buying a couple of 
pairs of shoelaces (one of our few purchases).
They even sold furniture there!!!
A tired Judy holding a bag containing t-shirts
for the granddaughters. Another goal crossed
off my list of things I wanted to experience
in San Miguel.

There were also tables after tables of pirated CD's, DVD's and electronic games, natural products such as creams, essential oils, and shampoos, tons of inexpensive (mostly gaudy) jewelry, religious goods, baby and children's clothing...you name it, Tuesday Market has it. After we had seen enough we walked across the highway to a large mall with a high-end department store named Liverpool which, of course, I had to check out. It was a large, beautiful store with lots of lovely, expensive clothing and other things, but nothing that I absolutely had to have (or wanted). 

Once my curiosity was satisfied, we went over to the outdoor McDonald's in the mall for lunch. Although the counter doesn't look a whole lot different from a counter in an American McDonald's, it took a whole lot of time for me to figure out exactly what to order. Back home, Rick and I love the McDouble on the dollar menu, and we often get 2 apiece. The "McDoble" here however, was 50 pesos...hmmmm...about $4.50. "What's wrong with this picture?" I asked myself. Luckily I only ordered one for each of us - they turned out to be about 4x the size of a McDouble back home. We certainly didn't leave McDonald's hungry that day!!!


So that's my "Tuesday Market" report. Another event crossed off my never ending list of things I want to experience in San Miguel. Tomorrow we're going to Dolores Hildago, a town about 25 miles away, that's known for it's ceramics, pottery and ice cream. Look for a report to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment