Friday, March 25, 2011

"Those were the days, my friend" (2011 - March 25)

O.K. you guys. Following is the second story I've written in Spanish. Our teacher wanted us to write something about ourselves, so I titled it "About Me". Once again, I challenge you to see if you can translate it yourself, before you read the English version.  (Go Kathy, go!!!)


Acerca de Mi

Yo tenía diecinueve años, y estuve una secretaria en Detroit centro, cuando Ricardo y yo 
conociamos. 

Estuve en un restaurante drive-in con mi amiga, bailando a la música de Motown, en el cofre de un coche cuando Ricardo manejó pasada. El pensó que estuve loca pero interesante, y pidió una amiga común a nos presentar. Pensé que estuvo muy guapo, y yo estaba impresionado que él estuvo en la universidad. Yo estuve muy contenta cuando él me pidió una fecha.

Quince meses despúes, Ricardo y yo casíamos. Por suerte, no sabíamos los dificiles retos delante. Pero...somos juntos despúes de casi cuarenta y cinco años, y todavia divertimos juntos. 

About Me

I was 19 years old and a secretary in downtown Detroit when Rick and I met.

I was at a drive in restaurant with my girlfriend, dancing to the Motown sound on the hood of a car, when Rick passed by. He thought that I was crazy, but he was interested...and asked a mutual friend to introduce us. I thought that he was very handsome, and I was impressed that he was in college. I was very happy when he asked me for a date.

15 months later, Rick and I were married. Luckily, we didn't know the difficult challenges that were ahead. But. we are still together after 45 years, and we still we have fun together.

****

"Those were the days my friend,
We thought they'd never end...
We'd sing and dance, forever and a day...
We'd live the life we'd choose, 
We'd fight and never lose..
Those were the days...oh yes those were the days!"





1 comment:

  1. I enjoy trying to read it first and laugh at some of my translations when I read the English version

    ReplyDelete